As there are growing concerns about the potential spread of flu and respiratory illnesses including coronavirus in our community, we want to share how the Y, with your help, is keeping you and your family and friends healthy and safe. Read More
1898 - YMCA Camp Miller was started as the 9th YMCA Camp in the United States. Today it is the 6th oldest camp in the nation. Over the years, Camp Miller has been relocated to a few different sites. Initially it was located in Ely, MN.
1902 - Camp Miller moves to Deerwood, MN, (on Serpent Lake) and remains there for the next 10 years. During these years the camp was run during the month of August and was for boys only.
1903 - Norman McLeod became camp director and continued on in this position for 46 years. Mac, as he was affectionately known, helped to shape the lives of thousands of young boys.
1913 - Camp Miller moved to its present-day site on Sturgeon Lake. The new 54 acre site was purchased for $1000. As years passed, more land was purchased and today Camp Miller rests upon 340 acres.
1917 - This year tents were replaced with a camper cabin – Moore Cabin. The following year two more cabins were built. 1918 was the year that Camp Miller escaped the Moose Lake fire.
1941 - Congdon Hall was built and served as the dining and recreation hall for 50 years until it was dismantled in 1992.
1949 - Norman McLeod retires from his position as Camp Miller Director.
1952 - The Camp Miller Committee of Management was formed and they began plans to rebuild a now much worn down Camp Miller. Today, they continue to be an integral part of carrying out the Camp Miller mission.
1953-1968 - Ten new cabins were built.
1956 - McLeod Lodge was built as a memorial to Norman McLeod who had passed away in 1951.
1958 - American Camping Association accreditation.
1970 - Purchase of Camp Miller farm.
1976 - Camp Miller became winterized, making it possible to provide year-round camping programs. Wade Woods was purchased. Les Blacklock provides a naturalist’s interpretation of the natural Camp Miller property.
1983 - YMCA Service Club chartered.
1984 - For the first time in Camp Miller history, girls came to camp.
1985 - YMCA Camp Miller Endowment Fund was established. (Both the Endowment Fund and the YMCA Service Club offer Campship support to Camp Miller which allows low-income children to attend.)
1992 - Mitchell Lodge and Conference Center is built; named for the Mitchell Family who had been involved with both the YMCA and Camp Miller since 1903. D
1996 - Camp Miller welcomes its first female director, Tracie Clanaugh.
2000 - The old Pine Palace bathhouse is demolished and replace with the new Pine Palace
2004 - Jack McLeod Leadership Lodge is built to host leadership opportunities for youth.
2012 - Jack McLeod Courage Course is built to help campers and others build skills and gain the experience of a high ropes and challenge course.
2014 - Culver cabin is moved from the south end of camp to its current central location as preparations were made to remodel into the Camp Miller museum.
2015 - Construction begins on a log pavilion located on the old Congdon Hall site. All pos
2016 - The Jeff Palmer Museum in Culver Cabin and The Boman Pavilion are dedicated and opened to the public honoring two long time stewards of camp and the Duluth Y.